Friday, April 10, 2015

David

I am a huge, huge fan of Michelangelo. So much so that I have spent hours studying his sculptures. The focus on core structure that he brings into each of his sculptures is phenomenal. For anyone who approaches art from a structural perspective, Michelangelo is the best teacher to learn from. 

Following sketch was one of my humble attempts to learn from David. It is one of my life ambitions to see both David and Pieta in person - maybe some day :)

Done in charcoal pastels, this is a fullscape sketch measuring 24" x 18".

By the time I finished the face, fatigue had set in and you can see the lack of justice to the Sternomastoids reflecting that. Just in case you are interested in human structural anatomy and approach sketching figures more from a structural angle, I would highly recommend reading through this chapter:

http://philschatz.com/anatomy-book/contents/m46492.html

One of my other sculptor idols is Philippe Faraut (https://philippefaraut.com/). It would be such an absolute delight to spend hours with some of his sculptures and capture them on paper.. some day... I will.

 

No comments: